Several teachers chose to use the MADE awards as an extrinsic drive to motivate themselves and their learners – there’s nothing better than
“Purpose, Outcome and Audience”
Amanda’s class focused on lifting oral language levels and chose to use the app Puppet Pals as the vehicle to facilitate this.
LEARNING INTENTIONS :
- To foster a love of reading and storytelling by introducing puppet pals to retell The Gruffalo story.
- The focus was on lifting student acheivement in oral language and lsitening skils.
- To develop oral reading, expression, understanding of symbols and text.print message
- All key competencies were imbedded throughout this project.
PROCESS OF THE PROJECT :
- Used ipads independently to present their own small group reading books.
- Negotiated a shared book to retell as a class that the children really love.
- Storyboarded and retold in groups to use as a script.
- Used concrete materials (in this case farm animals) to buddy up and practice – one moving one talking.
- Watched samples of shows, learners peer and self critiqued eg:
- Focused on speech volume and distance from iPad microphone
- Placement of characters.
- Created masks and backdrops to represent our characters.
- Learner drawn delightful Gruffalo used this instead of a mask.